Date:      Sun, 07 Jan 2001 22:14:34 -0400
From:      "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <jeroen@vangelderen.org>
To:        "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>, David Kelly <dkelly@grumpy.dyndns.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel PRO/100+ driver or hardware?

--On Sunday, January 07, 2001 18:01:41 -0600 "David W. Chapman Jr."
<dwcjr@inethouston.net> wrote:

> I've had a problem like this also with the cabling, where it worked fine
> with a 10mbps card but the 100mbps card would detect 100, but only really
> work at 10mbps(due to bad wiring/bad cabling).  Are the rest of your cards
> that do work 10mbps?

It seems that the cards detect 10Mbps by themselves. To be sure I forced
them to 10Mbps half duplex mode and the problem persisted. (The machines
I'm talking to are at 10Mbps half duplex as well.)

Additionally I tried different cables, without results. All cables work
fine at 100FX connected to the switch but not at 10 when connected to the
hub.

The other cards connected to the hub are a mixture of 10 and 100 cards
(3Com 905B, LinkSys LNE100TX, 3Com 509). All of these work fine.

I'm still a bit puzzled. I would expect a duplex mismatch to cause packet
loss and as shown in the tcpdump(1)s, no such loss seems to occur. Can a
duplex mismatch or a bad cable indeed result in the dumps I included? Any
tcpdump wizards out there?

Cheers,
Jeroen