Date:      Mon, 18 Jun 2001 13:57:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mikko Tyolajarvi <mikko@dynas.se>
To:        jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: change word or repeat operation in emacs?

In local.freebsd.questions you write:

>I'm still getting used to emacs, and overall i love it.  But here are a few
>commands i loved in vi that i haven't yet discovered emacs analogues for.

>I will often use 'cw' in vi to change a word (usually a variable name,
>constant, etc) and then go to another word i want to change as well.  In vi
>i can just use '.' to do this.  Is there a similar way to 'change-word' then
>'repeat-operation' in emacs, besides search-and-replace'?

Not exactly, but there are "keyboard macros". C-x-( to begin, do some
operations, including searching, C-x-) to end, and C-x-e to execute
the same operations again. C-u NNN C-x-e to run the macro NNN times.

There's more to it, see C-h-a "macro".

  $02,
  /Mikko

P.S. This was not really a FreeBSD question, was it? ;-)
--
 Mikko Työläjärvi_______________________________________mikko@rsasecurity.com
 RSA Security