Date:      Tue, 21 Oct 1997 10:47:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        AlexF@nsiweb.com
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Help on to to how to create an IP firewall with freebsd

On Mon, 20 Oct 1997 AlexF@nsiweb.com wrote:

> I'm a newbie to FreeBSD so I'd like to get help with some issues:
>
> - First, I want to setup my machine as an IP router, but have no clue as to
> how to proceed with this in FreeBSD.

1.  Plug in one Ethernet card for each desired interface.  Configure
    appropritately.
2.  Set up routing appropriately.  If this is going to the outside world,
    running gated may be handy.  Gated is in the ports tree.

See FAQ question 10.2 for more info.

> - Also,  My company wants to put up a firewall using a unix machine.  I
> think, FreeBSD would be perfect for this task, but I have not been able to
> find any information about how to do this.

See Handbook section 6.4, "Firewalls."

You can find all these docs under http://www.freebsd.org/docs/.