Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 1998 00:03:31 -0800
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Lars Koeller <Lars.Koeller@post.uni-bielefeld.de>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, port-i386@netbsd.org
Subject:   Re: Conclusion: Seagate Python firmware and hanging SCBs on 2940!

>On Tue, 24 February 1998 at  8:28:40 +0100, Lars Koeller wrote:
>> Just for your information! Don't use any combination of Seagate Python DAT
>> drives, Adaptec 2940 SCSI controller and FreeBSD or Linux!

>This is somewhat overstating the case.  I've been using exactly that
>combination for 15 months, and I've been very satisfied.

This is really weird.  This comes across my screen just as I'm
wrestling with why the hell my new drive won't write a complete dump.

I had an old IBM/Archive/Seagate DDS-2 drive (identified as Archive,
not Python), which had been working great for almost a year.  But
lately it had been having problems, and I was using two tapes per
backup on the NT box.

So...  I bought a refurbished Scorpion DDS-3 drive.  It's awesome.
Fast, holds tons on a tape.  Only one problem -- it wouldn't write to
my old DDS-2 tapes.  So Seagate send me a firmware upgrade.  Now the
drive writes my DDS-2 tapes.  Excellent!  I only had about $300 worth
of those I wanted to continue using. ;-)

But now I'm getting these SCB resets/timeouts that everyone else is
talking about.  What the?!

The drive works beautifully under NT.  It worked fine the last time I
tried it last weekend on NetBSD.  But this weekend I wasn't able to
get a complete dump with four different tapes (under NetBSD -- got NT
backups just fine).

The thing that people have been saying is wrong is that the drive
identifies itself as being able to support tagged-command-queuing, but
not actually supporting it?  The thing is, my drive doesn't appear to
be advertising such an ability (as far as I can see).  It identifies
itself as such:

ahc0: target 2 synchronous at 10.0MHz, offset = 0xf
st0 at scsibus0 targ 2 lun 0: <ARCHIVE, Python 04106-XXX, 715F> SCSI2 1/sequential removable
st0: drive empty

So does anyone have an idea what the actual problem is?  It would be
cool if I could make this dude work.

The system is a NetBSD 1.3 box, Adaptec 2940UW (7880), 64MB RAM, etc...

  Michael L. VanLoon    mvanloon@exmsft.com    michaelv@MindBender.serv.net
      Contract software development for Windows NT, Windows 95 and Unix.
             Windows NT and Unix server development in C++ and C.