Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2000 10:38:44 -0500
From:      James FitzGibbon <james@targetnet.com>
To:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
Cc:        Nick Hibma <n_hibma@qubesoft.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USB-to-SCSI converter

* Chris Dillon (cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us) [001113 08:22]:

> On Sun, 12 Nov 2000, Nick Hibma wrote:
>
> > I don't know. The only thing I know is that the protocol on the
> > USB wire does not let you select the SCSI id, just the LUN.
>
> Since you can select the LUN and not the ID, maybe they've mapped SCSI
> ID0:LUN0 to ID0:LUN0 (duh), ID1:LUN0 to ID0:LUN1, ID2:LUN0 to
> ID0:LUN2, and so on, which would explain why we only see a device at
> ID0:LUN0 if we aren't looking at the remaining LUNs (are we?).  This
> would mean that you can't use multi-LUN devices with the USB-SCSI
> converter, but that is much more acceptable than only being able to
> use ID0 with it.

I've got a Nakamichi mj-4.8s (4 disc scsi jukebox) at home that I can put in
an external case to test this premise.  It comes up as the chosen ID and
LUNS 0-3.

--
j.

James FitzGibbon                                           james@targetnet.com
Targetnet.com Inc.                              Voice/Fax +1 416 306-0466/0452