Date:      Fri, 04 Sep 1998 20:46:50 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
Cc:        smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Big new SMP challenge (4x Xeon, 450NX)

> Mike,
>
> > > I want one.
> >
> > Do you have a forklift?  8)
>
> I could get one!

As long as having the bits of Jordan that didn't stick to the forklift
smeared all over the side of the machine doesn't faze you, then I guess
it's yours.  8)

> > > one APIC but pin#s higher than 24, some piece of the puzzle is missing.
> > > Where can docs on the hardware be found?
> >
> > I don't know if they can; they're quite possibly still being written.
> > I'll ask our source and see what they can come up with.
> >
> > Is it possible that this might be a new APIC?  Any suggestions on part
> > numbers to look for on the board?  Anything in the SMP kernel output to
> > look for that would identify it?
>
> The IO APIC is traditionally part of the motherboard chipset.  So the place
> to start would be to get a set of docs on the 450NX chipset.

That would explain why I've never seen anything suspiciously APIC-like
on any other board.  What I get for not reading more I guess.

Anyway, the 450NX datasheet is available as:

ftp://download.intel.com/design/pcisets/datashts/24377101.pdf

and there's a specification update at

ftp://download.intel.com/design/pcisets/SPECUPDT/24384803.pdf

> > The inference here is of course that if there's more than one APIC, we
> > have trouble because we run out of room in the interrupt mask, correct?
>
> Correct to the extent that we have a completely "plug-n-play" kernel,
> but to get things rolling a simple hard-coded hack somewhere in mpapic.c
> would probably get this beast to boot.

Sounds good to me.  What now?