Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 1996 14:16:56 GMT
From:      Dayton Clark <dayton@holiday.sci.brooklyn.cuny.edu>
To:        dufault@hda.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, pencil@holiday.sci.brooklyn.cuny.edu
Subject:   LabPC+ problem

Hello,

We're using the labpc driver with FreeBSD 2.1R.  The system is a
straight forward 486/33 with ISA bus.  The board is a LabPC+.

We are doing digital output and analog input simultaneously.  When we
read a single channel (channel 0) it works fine.  When we scan
channels 7 - 0 we seem to get channel 0 values for all channels.  Our
application is not very demanding as to sampling rate.

We did have to defeat the multiple open lockout to open the device
twice.  Is the the likely cause of the problem? :)

We need to overcome this problem and we're willing and able to work on
it.  The real questions are:

  a) Are we trying to do something the BOARD can't do?

  b) Are we trying to do something the DRIVER (as is) can't do?

  c) Should we continue to suspect our user-side code?

If a) is correct, we'll be verry disappointed.  I'm bleary eyed from
investigating c).  I suspect that b) is correct.

If we are to venture further into the driver, do you have any words of
wisdom on as to how to overcome the problem?  A specific question is:
why is the multi-open lockout necessary?

thanks
dayton

 Dayton Clark
 CIS Department                 dayton@brooklyn.cuny.edu
 Brooklyn College/CUNY          1-718-951-4811
 Brooklyn, New York  11210      1-718-951-4842 (fax)