Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 1996 15:45:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Utz <spaz@u.washington.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>, Jeremy Sigmon <jsigmon@www.hsc.wvu.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.2.x release question

Oh, sh&t!;

On Wed, 16 Oct 1996, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > So the way I see things (and since I'm not a core team person, this is
> > just my opinion), FreeBSD 2.2 could easily be released by Christmas, or
> > even the end of November.  I think if the core team puts the squeeze on
>
> NFS weirdness seems to be the #1 monster under the bed with 2.2 -

	I am running the october 6th snap and picked this time to change
over my two seats to mount everything from /usr on down. The changeover
has gone very slowly and late last night was the first time i tried to
install from the server running the snap to the seats. NFS install never
worked, and now i can:
 mount       mira.home.here:/usr as
       downstairs.home.here:/usr

 but i cant visit anything below the top level! ie i can "see" X11R6 but
i cant "see" or execute anything in it!

my nfs permissions:

/usr -alldirs upstairs downstairs

which is unchanged from what i was using to mount mira:/usr as /usr2 on
upstairs and downstairs.

	So is this configuration idiocy on my part? (which would be Good,
because that is at least fixable ) or is this symptomatic of the problem
mentioned above ( which would be a Really Bad Thing, I cant imagine
staying up all night for a few days to revert my network back to 2.1.5 ).

	Oh, please reward me with a pronouncement of my stupidity! :-)

	I had thought it was a permission problem and was going to try
chmod -R a+rwx on the mira:/usr filesystem.... ( can u say "hackfest" ? )

		tnx! john

 John Utz	spaz@u.washington.edu
	idiocy is the impulse function in the convolution of life