Date:      Fri, 20 Nov 1998 09:41:28 -0600
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        Paul <paulturner@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Find and an editor

On Nov 11, 1998 at 11:28:00PM -0800, Paul wrote:
> When I try to use "find sysinstall" for example, it searches only the current directory. I have since found /stand/sysinstall, but there are many other files I need to "find".

	find . -name sysinstall

(find, starting in your current directory, a file matching the
 name `sysinstall')

> I also would like a stable X based file editor. Please do not point me to "vi". I admit I am coming from Microsoft.

Try looking at the ported applications in /usr/ports, or at
http://www.freebsd.org/ports.  There are several X based file
editors there,

> If you have a moment, I would also like some hints on how to handle the fact that the rest of the "world" expects us to be able to deal with the "Word" and "Excel" files that get sent to us, if we go completely FreeBSD.

We don't really have a good solution to this, Microsoft has made it
so that if you want to use word/excel, you must use the Microsoft
products.

A possibility is another (commercial) office package that runs on
FreeBSD and is able to read word/excel documents.  Applixware should
hopefully fit the bill, but won't be available until February.  (for
more information see http://www.cdrom.com)
--
Jonathan