Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 21:20:40 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        "Juha Saarinen" <juha@saarinen.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Malloc type lacks magic" show-stopper solved

In message <LNBBIBDBFFCDPLBLLLHFIEAGIJAA.juha@saarinen.org>, "Juha
Saarinen" wr
ites:
> In case it helps anyone else, the error in the subject line was due to
> compiler optimisations.
>
> Going back to -O -pipe and rebuilding everything fixed it. Oddly
> enough, -O3 -march=i686 -mcpu=i686 -ffast-math worked fine on 3.3, but not
> on 4.1.1.

Anything above -O is not recommended.  I've had problems with
optimisation above -O under gcc on Intel (FreeBSD & Linux) ever since I
converted from IBM mainframe to UNIX (religious experience).

(Living here in Canada all these years I've finally figured out what
bilingualism is:  Being able to speak ASCII and EBCDIC).

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC