Date:      Tue, 22 Dec 1998 09:11:08 +0100
From:      "Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven" <ruigrjer@start.nl>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Spontaneous reboots

Just wanting to report something which I haven't been able to trace yet...

I have a FreeBSD workstation at my work running 2.2.5.

This box is one that is hard to bring down except by loss of power or the reboot command.

Today the box spontaneously rebooted twice. Both time I was running X and downloading with Netscape... Update the sources one would say... Mayhaps, were it not that the same thing happened to me under CURRENT last sunday: mouse froze up and all screen activity was stopped until it resetted also whilst running X, Netscape and doing disk access/downloading.

Also, nothing logged in /var/log/messages so it's a female dog to trace...

I might be wrong on this, but this seems too much for a coincedence. Especially since I have been able to do it again.

We do have 3-5 other FreeBSD boxen here, so how do I set up some sort of serial console to check what's happening? Because I really want to see what's been causing this...

Any other ideas as to trace are welcome

[Please cc: asmodai@wxs.nl as well, thanks]

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <jeroen.ruigrok@start.nl>
Infrastructure & Networks Start Uitzendbureau
tel: +31 - (0) 182 - 695 895