Date:      Wed, 11 Sep 1996 13:12:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        Antonio Nati <A.Nati@mclink.it>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPPD & Windows95

On Wed, 11 Sep 1996, Antonio Nati wrote:

> Trying to connect FreeBSD with Windows95 using a PPP link, I have problems
> after the CHAP part. FreeBSD and Windows95 complain they have different
> protocols.
>
> I've tried all on both sides, with no results.
>
> Anyone had the same problem?
>
> Tonino

FreeBSD 2.1.5 here, using pppd, proxyarp, chap and no login prompt.
Basically, the user enters the phone number, their host name (as it
appears in /etc/ppp/chap-secrets), and their password (from same place).
If you have any problems, watch the console or messages, you might get a
more informative message there, though it sounds like you already are.

pppd launched by this line in /etc/ttys (all on one line):

ttyd0 "/usr/sbin/pppd :204.160.242.254 /dev/ttyd0 57600" dialup on
unsecure

/etc/ppp/options contains

modem
passive
silent
netmask 255.255.255.255
proxyarp
+chap
asyncmap 0
name horst
crtscts
242.160.242.10:
-detach

/etc/ppp/chap-secrets (obviously edited).

where the three *** are the user name, and the 8 are the password (you
aren't limited to these lengths, it's just the way we set up our system).