Date:      Wed, 14 Sep 2011 16:46:56 -0400
From:      William Bulley <web@umich.edu>
To:        Jakub Lach <jakub_lach@mailplus.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Thinkpad audio question

According to Jakub Lach <jakub_lach@mailplus.pl> on Wed, 09/14/11 at 16:25:

> For maximum verbosity you
> can also try setting in sysctl.conf
>
> hw.snd.verbose=3

I've had that setting for years, but it didn't help in this case, sigh...  :-(

> and
>
> $ cat /dev/sndstat then.

Sure, that is what I always do to check which sound driver I have.

> Not sure if you really need it though.

True, it wasn't any help for this problem.

> As for man page, that was my experience
> as well, and I just shamelessly  copied
> device.hints some kind spirit provided,
> so I'm not exactly pinout expert either :)

Heh...  :-)

> On a lighter note, once correct pinout
> will be set, you shouldn't have any
> more problems with CX20561, it's
> common and well supported chip.

That is nice to know...

Here is the deal:

when I "% cat /dev/sndstat" it shows both pcm0 and psm1 as:

   HDA Conexant CX20561 (Hermosa)

but not in the "verbose" output below from dmesg(8).

Right now I have this (after some reformatting - no TABs either!):

HDA Codec #0: Conexant CX20561 (Hermosa)
HDA Codec #1: Conexant (Unknown)              <<<<<===== not sure why this is

Dumping AFG cad=0 nid=1 pins:

nid 22 0x022140f0 as 15 seq  0  Headphones  Jack  jack  1 loc  2 color Green   misc 0            Caps: OUT HP  Sense: 0x
7fffffff
nid 23 0x61a190f0 as 15 seq  0  Mic         None  jack  1 loc 33 color Pink    misc 0 [DISABLED] Caps: IN VREF Sense: 0x
7fffffff
nid 24 0x02a190f0 as 15 seq  0  Mic         Jack  jack  1 loc  2 color Pink    misc 0            Caps: IN VREF Sense: 0x
7fffffff
nid 25 0x40f000f0 as 15 seq  0  Other       None  jack  0 loc  0 color Unknown misc 0 [DISABLED] Caps: OUT     Sense: 0x
7fffffff
nid 26 0x901701f0 as 15 seq  0  Speaker     Fixed jack  7 loc 16 color Unknown misc 1            Caps: OUT EAPD
nid 27 0x40f001f0 as 15 seq  0  Other       None  jack  0 loc  0 color Unknown misc 1 [DISABLED] Caps: OUT EAPD
nid 28 0x40f001f0 as 15 seq  0  Other       None  jack  0 loc  0 color Unknown misc 1 [DISABLED] Caps: OUT
nid 29 0x90a601f0 as 15 seq  0  Mic         Fixed jack  6 loc 16 color Unknown misc 1            Caps: IN

After disregarding the DISABLED lines I have this:

nid 22 0x022140f0 as 15 seq  0  Headphones  Jack  jack  1 loc  2 color Green   misc 0            Caps: OUT HP  Sense: 0x
7fffffff
nid 24 0x02a190f0 as 15 seq  0  Mic         Jack  jack  1 loc  2 color Pink    misc 0            Caps: IN VREF Sense: 0x
7fffffff
nid 26 0x901701f0 as 15 seq  0  Speaker     Fixed jack  7 loc 16 color Unknown misc 1            Caps: OUT EAPD
nid 29 0x90a601f0 as 15 seq  0  Mic         Fixed jack  6 loc 16 color Unknown misc 1            Caps: IN

The snd_hda(4) man page does not discuss what "EAPD" is, nor what
"VREF" is, nor what "HP" is.  It also does not discuss "Caps:" but
I can infer what "IN" and "OUT" are.   :-)

So, I have a speaker (big whoop) and two "jacks": one pink and
one green (but I already knew that, too).

I note that there is only one AS (15, or is that 14?) and only
one "seq" (0) which doesn't mesh well with your earlier T400
suggestion:

> hint.hdac.0.cad0.nid22.config="as=1 seq=15"
> hint.hdac.0.cad0.nid24.config="as=3"
> hint.hdac.0.cad0.nid26.config="as=1"
> hint.hdac.0.cad0.nid29.config="as=2"

For example, where did 'AS'es 1, 2, 3 come from?
And where did "seq" 15 come from?   :-(

However, it is mighty curious that your four "nid"s
match my four non-DISABLED "nid"s - hmmm...   :-)

Recognizing from your comments above that you may
not be able to answer these rhetorical questions,
but if I just try your suggestions "blind" what
are the chances it will "just work" for me?  I do
hate just copying something without knowing what
the heck it means -- just the pedantic engineer in
me, I reckon...  :-)

The snd_hda(4) man page is not very helpful in
explaining what your four hints would do for
my T500 problem, but I guess it is worth a try.

Regards,

web...

--
William Bulley                     Email: web@umich.edu