Date:      Sun, 24 Jan 2016 21:42:51 +0100
From:      Terje Elde <terje@elde.net>
To:        Tim Daneliuk <tundra@tundraware.com>
Subject:   Re: [installworld] Do We need /usr/obj

> On 24 Jan 2016, at 21:23, Tim Daneliuk <tundra@tundraware.com> wrote:
>=20
> One of the servers I maintain has a very small footprint (it's a VPS).
> It is set up to do a full buildworld/buildkernel every night.  That way,
> when its time to upgrade for, say, security reasons, there is no build del=
ay
> (which takes nearly 5 hours on this virtual machine).

Why build on the machine then? Why not just build on and install from anothe=
r?

> The problem is that the machine has really limited disk space for day-to-d=
ay
> use.  So here's the question:  does installworld/kernel need what is in
> /usr/obj, or can that be deleted once the build is complete?  This would f=
ree
> up considerable space on that machine.

Well, that's where your built stuff goes, so it's where you'd install files f=
rom if you upgrade.=20

Also, it wouldn't really help you to delete it. With your current setup, you=
'd need the space again the next night, wouldn't you?

Terje