Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2001 00:24:23 +0200
From:      "Michael Nottebrock" <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        "Jason Andresen" <jandrese@mitre.org>, "Gabriel Rocha" <grocha@geeksimplex.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Watching DVD's in -stable

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jason Andresen" <jandrese@mitre.org>
To: "Gabriel Rocha" <grocha@geeksimplex.org>
Cc: <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2001 11:43 PM

> Gabriel Rocha wrote:
> >
> > Hey,
> >         I am just curious if I missed something totally obvious, if I
> >         have, please hit me over the head with a clue-by-four and I
will
> >         go away quickly. But is there anything akin to oms and the
> >         video4linux project for freebsd? I want to ditch my windows
> >         partition on my laptop, but it would be such a waste of a
> >         perfectly nice dvd drive...Thanks in advance. --gabe
>
> xine can view unencrypted DVDs (unfortunatly most DVDs are encrypted,
> from
> what I've heard, only some porn DVDs are unencrypted).
>
> There is a plugin that supposedly integrated DVD decryption in xine,
> but I don't think it works (especially with the new, unstable version
> of xine in the ports).

Can't tell about FreeBSD, but I watch css-ed DVDs with xine 0.4.3 on a
Linux machine all the time, using the libdecss-plugin from linuxvideo.
Xine performs amazingly well even on slower machines (that particular
Linux box is a Celeron 500) and not only plays DVDs, but also VCDs, mpegs
and AVIs, including DivX (I believe it uses avifile-code to achieve this,
since it also needs the windows codec binaries in order to play AVI.).

Give xine a try, and read the HOWTO at http://xine.sourceforge.net
especially Sections 4 & 5.

Greetings,

Michael Nottebrock