Date:      Sun, 20 Jul 2003 07:44:34 -0600
From:      Joe Warner <rootman22@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Nvidia Licensing Question

Hi,

I was talking to someone recently about why there isn't
support for Nvidia's Nforce drivers under FreeBSD yet.

He said:

"This might have something to do with the fact that the NIC driver is not
GPL licensed. See the "License" section of the nForce Linux readme:

http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86_40/nforce/1.0-0248/readme_nforce-1.0-0248.txt

As I remember, FreeBSD only includes software that come under the GPL or
BSD license"

I responded saying I didn't think it had anything to do with licensing or the
Nvidia graphics driver wouldn't be supported either.

He responded:

"Umm, read the link I provided carefully. The graphics driver is GPL.
FreeBSD will include GPLed software without issue. It is only the NIC
driver that is NOT GPL. Thus, FreeBSD will not include the NIC driver that
NVidia provides, but will include the graphics driver."

He says the NIC driver is not covered under the GPL.  It that's true then
how can they make it available for Linux?

..and:

"I suspect that the reason in this case is pure licensing. Read the license
section of the readme above. It could likely be an issue with other
hardware as well. FreeBSD constrains itself somewhat by taking the GPL/BSD
license only philosophical stand. Not all manufacturers are willing to
work within that model which means sometimes FreeBSD has to forego the
manufacturer's driver and wait for someone to develop a GPL/BSD driver."

..and finally:

"The sound driver should be GPL according to the above license, but perhaps
since it is bundled with the NIC driver which is non-GPL there is an issue
with porting it to BSD. I think nVidia insists anything that it bundles
together stays bundled together which would in FreeBSD's mind make the
sound driver non-GPLed because it's bundled with the non-GPL NIC driver.
Again, the whole GPL/BSD license vs non GPL/BSD license issue. Since the
graphics driver is provided as a seperate, GPLed package, it is fine for
FreeBSD, but the rest may have issues because of the bundling."

Is this correct?

Thanks

Joe