Date:      Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:04:35 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Mateusz =?utf-8?q?J=C4=99drasik?= <imachine@toya.net.pl>
Subject:   Re: dhclient sucks

On Tuesday 26 July 2005 05:03 am, Mateusz J=C4=99drasik wrote:
> Dnia wtorek 26 lipca 2005 02:29, Mike Jakubik napisa=C5=82:
> > xl0: link state changed to UP
> > DHCPREQUEST on xl0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
> > DHCPREQUEST on xl0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
> > DHCPACK from x.x.x.1
> > bound to x.x.x.195 -- renewal in 43200 seconds.
> > xl0: flags=3D8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
> >         options=3D9<RXCSUM,VLAN_MTU>
> >         inet x.x.x.195 netmask 0xffffff80 broadcast x.x.x.255
> >         ether 00:01:03:d4:4c:07
> >         media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
> >         status: active
> > Creating and/or trimming log files:.
> > Starting syslogd.
> > Additional routing options: IP gateway=3DYES.
> > Starting devd.
> > dhclient xl0: already running?
> > Mounting NFS file systems:.
> >
> > ---
> >
> > Why is dhclient being run again? Can someone tell me why this
> > openbsd version was brought in anyways? The old one worked just
> > fine, this seems like yet another reinvention of a wheel, and a
> > broken one at that.
>
> I have a very similar issue on 6.0-BETA, it starts once, then again
> during the boot process similarly at the same place You mentioned,
> with ifconfig_fxp0=3D"DHCP" in rc.conf.
>
> Eh. ;-)
>
> Btw, is it possible to have two interfaces? I have w wi0 and fxp0
> card, the wi0 being dynamically switchable on or off with a switch on
> the laptop's side. I would ideally like both of them to do DHCP,
> however, first trying the currently working/available interface -
> that is, fxp0 - then, if the fxp0 link goes down, and nothing is up,
> cancelling the DHCP request, later, when the wi0 gets switched ON,
> FreeBSD automatically picking up DHCP from the associated wireless
> network - is that possible, without manually needing to start DHCP
> every time?

Oh, how I wish dhclient could handle two interfaces!  The old one=20
allowed two interfaces, but was rather stupid about it.  There was no=20
way to specify which interface had priority, so the last one usually=20
won with its default routes.

My gateway box at home has two ethernet interfaces that need dhcp.  It=20
seems I'm going to have to hack dhclient-script or something to get it=20
to do something sensible.  It shouldn't be that painful.

Linux (gentoo in this case) has dhcpcd, which take switches to allow you=20
to tell it to not mess with resolv.conf or the default route.  No=20
hacking or pain required.  Unlike ours dhclient.

=2D-=20