Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 16:30:37 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Mall now BSDCentral

*sigh* this has gotten way off track somehow. Looking back, I'm
probably primarily to blame.

The fact is: *I* *AM* interested in replacing or helping out with
an effort to replace/improve sysinstall. However, there are two
critical things I must understand if I am to do anything truely
productive along this line:

1. Should sysinstall be fixed or replaced.
2. What needs done to fix or improve sysinstall.

Now, I've gotten several excellent suggestions with regard to #2.
If any of my replies to these seem like arguments, then that's
just a part of my inability to communicate, as what I'm trying to
do is *understand* what exactly needs done. If I only change what
*I* want, it might not be terribly useful overall (as can be seen
by my divergence from other's opinions) You make an excellent point
of this in your second paragraph below.

What I was really interested in getting answered was #1, as it
was suggested by Terry Lambert that "sysinstall must go" (don't
remember his exact words) I have no desire to start repairing
something if a complete replacement is in order.

The fact of the matter is that I don't understand the problem
enough to fix it. It may seem strange to people that I'm more
interested in understanding this problem than in fixing problems
that I already understand. Well, I always have been a little
strange ...

Personally, I would appreciate it if folks would *not* back
off from this conversation, since I'm acutally beginning to
understand, thanks to the tireless efforts of many who already
understand.

-Bill