Date:      Wed, 05 Aug 1998 21:50:25 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        dpetrou@cs.cmu.edu
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: verifying sources with cvsup...

In article <199808060058.RAA26739@hub.freebsd.org>,
David Petrou  <dpetrou@cs.cmu.edu> wrote:
> Hi.  I keep up-to-date with stable using cvsup.  Recently I suffered
> some fs corruption and a bunch of files in /usr/src and /usr/ports got
> screwed up.  When I next run cvsup, will it automatically find the bad
> files and get new copies of them?

It depends on what kind of corruption you suffered.  Often, filesystem
problems or hardware problems cause portions of files to be scribbled
on _without_ changing the modification times or sizes of the files.
CVSup will not notice this corruption until the next time somebody
commits a change to the file, which could be a long time.  But read on ...

> This is what the manpage says:

Yay!  A person who reads the man page! :-)

>      For efficiency, cvsup maintains a bookkeeping file for each collection,
>      called the list file.  The list file contains information about which
>      files and revisions the client currently possesses.  It also contains in-
>      formation used for verifying that the list file is consistent with the
>      actual files in the client's tree.
>
>      The list file is not strictly necessary.  If it is deleted, or becomes
>      inconsistent with the actual client files, cvsup falls back upon a less
>      efficient method of identifying the client's files and performing its up-
>      dates.  Depending on CVSup 's mode of operation, the fallback method em-
>      ploys time stamps, checksums, or analysis of RCS files.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't know what "mode of operation" my cvsup is
> using.

The main question is, are you using "checkout mode" (i.e., is there a
"tag=" clause in your cvsupfile)?  I assume you are, since you mention
/usr/src and /usr/ports, but not /home/ncvs.

> I'm hoping that I can just delete the list files and cvsup will do
> something like compare md5 checksums of all my files against the
> archive.

If you are using checkout mode, then that should work fine.  It will
be slower than usual.  Also, this really places a heavy load on the
server, so you should try not to do it too often.

Thanks for the excellent FAQ candidate. :-)

John