Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 2003 13:45:24 -0800
From:      Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkg-plist question

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 01:36:52PM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > There is nothing wrong with them.  Nobody on FreeBSD uses a.out
> > these days and removing them can possibly cause problems with
> > lib detection scripts.  So add NO_FILTER_SHLIBS=yes and get it
> > over with.
>
> I disagree..they're completely useless on FreeBSD and anything that
> tries to look for them is broken.  Does rtld even look at
> libfoo.so.x.y files?

Just because something is useless on FreeBSD (an unqualified
assertion in my view) doesn't mean it's not useful anywhere else.
Developers use the name to store a longer version number and look
for the filenames (which is a very cheap approach to detecting
the lib).  Not installing them on FreeBSD forces 3rd party
developers to use special cases for FreeBSD.  There is no reason
to create nonstandard 3rd-party installs.  This is just another
example of rules we made up 3-4 years ago for a reason that is
now outdated.  I was around back then, so I remember when the
rule was created, and I remember when we didn't have the rule.

Whether or not rtld looks at files named *.so.x.* is irrelevant.
No rtld that exists looks at them (that I'm aware of) and every
3rd-party lib installs *.so symlinks (or the other way around).
This isn't a library issue (as it used to be), it is merely
whether or not a file/symlink should be installed.

Regards,
--
wca