Date:      Sun, 22 Oct 1995 10:45:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Freeware reward?????

> "Freeware" drivers are not competition. They just eliminate the pikers.
> Given that most
> commercial companies have trouble doing commercially acceptable products in
> this area
> , whats the chance that some guy with way too much free time can do better?
well, it depends on the guy :)

> Is this for the "best" resulting product, or the first? Or don't you care?
 One interesting side effect of being a source-OS
is that once the first version is written, other people improve on it
till it becomes acceptable.. there are lots of people who don't feel
competant to start a driver from scratch, but who would happily leap in
and extend/modify an existing one.. so in fact the answer might actually
be the "first resulting product", and "no we don't care", but only
on the understanding that the product will be worked on by
multitudes..

:)