Date:      Sat, 27 Jun 1998 06:53:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD - I'm in love!

OK, so perhaps the title of this Email is a little "nerdish."  But I've gotten
to the point where I have fallen in love with this OS.  I've never seen
anything like this kind of power and configurability before, and so much
quality software that's absolutely FREE.  They say the best things in life
are free, and I'm beginning to believe it.  It's so seductive, I'm literally
using Win95 or NT very little anymore.  Therefore, it's time for some changes,
so I'm going to be incommunicado for awhile:

(1) I'm dedicating an entire 2.1 gig HD to FreeBSD (up from 1.3 gigs).  This
will require reinstalls of all three of my OS's, so I won't be around here for
awhile. This will be an all-day project, at least, if not a 2-day project.

(2) I'm going to replace some of my hardware on a gradual basis with hardware
that is compatible with BSD, or encourage the manufacturers of the hardware to
support BSD.  The thing I miss the most is my sound card (I enjoy MIDI and
Mpeg3 files); I can access my SparQ drive, scanner, and the fancier aspects of
my printer from Win95 (although Shuttle Technologies makes the drivers for
the Syquest SparQ, and I'm going to write to them and see if they have any
hints/clues as to how I could access it from FreeBSD).

So anyway... that's the story.  I'll continue to have a multi-boot system,
since there are some things I just can't do and software that's unavailable for
BSD as of yet (for example, listening to MP3 music files, and software like
Adobe Photoshop, MS Word, etc)... but I want to spend as much time as possible
in BSD and dog these other OS's unless I require them.  This OS is so much
better than the Windows breed that it almost makes me want to sell off ALL my
non-compatible hardware immediately and make an immediate, permanent switch.
However, at this point that would be rash, and I have 4 gigs of HD space
available, so multi-boot I remain (I'm sure most of you would agree that's wise
at this point, and 2 gigs is plenty of space for FreeBSD and associated
software).

Goodbye until tomorrow, or 12-14 hrs. from now at least, while I make some
major changes.

Tim

E-Mail: Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
Date: 27-Jun-98
Time: 06:39:26

This message was sent by XFMail under Fvwm2 and FREEBSD.
My personal website is at http://www.serv.net/~fewtch/index.html
Take a look if you have the time - something for everyone there.