Date:      Sat, 19 Jul 2003 09:47:08 +0200
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <nick@garage.freebsd.pl>
To:        Marc Ramirez <marc.ramirez@bluecirclesoft.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Communications kernel -> userland

--H+4ONPRPur6+Ovig

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 03:47:05PM -0400, Marc Ramirez wrote:
+> I have a remote datastore that I want to present as a filesystem.  There
+> are two parts to this: fetching raw data over the network, and doing some
+> processing on the data.  For purposes of maintainability, I'd like to do
+> as little of this as possible inside the kernel, so I've currently got a
+> daemon to fetch and process the data, and then pipes it over a socket to
+> the kernel FS layer.

Your choices are:
- device,
- sysctl,
- syscall.

You need to think about what you exactly need and which options will be
the best. Creating new syscall isn't good idea, creating device is more
complicated than sysctl, but of course it's up to you and your needs.

--=20
Pawel Jakub Dawidek                       pawel@dawidek.net
UNIX Systems Programmer/Administrator     http://garage.freebsd.pl
Am I Evil? Yes, I Am!                     http://cerber.sourceforge.net