Date:      Fri, 3 Apr 1998 23:32:42 +0400
From:      =?koi8-r?B?4c7E0sXKIP7F0s7P1w==?= <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        "Alok K. Dhir" <adhir@worldbank.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, adkin003@tc.umn.edu
Subject:   Re: Working patch *with* splhigh() (Was Re: More info RE: X slowdown in -current)

On Fri, Apr 03, 1998 at 09:16:10PM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> Ok, in the meantime I have installed a -current kernel, ie 1.35 on
> a machine here, and a netscape as well (ports/www/netscape4-communicator),
> and running it to a remote X server I see no ill effects, it runs
                      ^^^^^^ you need to run everything on local machine
> as well as I've ever seen it on a i486 cpu.

> So what exactly is the problem you're seing (any URLs I should try ?)

You need no URLs, when Netscape4-communicator starts it draws its icon
bar. With the bug it draws it at 1icon per 2secs rate.

Next example is xterm scrolling, usually showed with 'ls -R'.

When you move your mouse intensively, it helps to draw faster since
generate more events. I use /dev/sysmouse (syscons mouse).

Something the picture locks completely until you touch mouse.

> Does "top" show any weird behaviour ?

No.

> Does "systat :vm" show abnormally many syscalls ?

I not check.

> Does ktrace on your netscape show anything weird ?

No.

> Could it maybe be the Xserver which is having the trouble, not the
> netscape process ?

No, when I run Netscape remotely there is no slowness.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
http://www.nagual.pp.ru/~ache/