Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 14:21:10 -0500
From:      Joshua Coombs <jcoombs@gwi.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.4 on a 386

I apologize for not including the previous post in the reply, mail2web
is being weird... anyways, in regards to 4.4 on a 386 and not wanting
to go live on the network:

I have run across that, and it's not a 386 specific problem it was tied
to the nic being a 3Com etherlink 3.  Often times a generic kernel will
annoy the 3com with it's device probes and cause it to lock just the
nic, net result the card will be probed and found correctly, but if you
look at ifconfig it'll have all 0's for a mac addy and won't respond to
the outside world.  The way around this is to either use the kernel conf
option at boot to eliminate any devices not installed/used or use a
custom stripped kernel.

As far as weather or not the 386 is up to the task, at the most you may
need to do as others have suggested and figure out a way to get swap
enabled earlier in the install process, although I didn't have that
problem on my 386sx with 8MB ram installing 4.1 over a modem.

Other than that FreeBSD is still running quite well in the later
releases on both my 386sx-25 with 16MB ram and my 386dx-40 with 32MB
ram.  One piece of advice I can give to get the most out of these boxes
is use -Os instead of -O or -O2, etc as you are primarily memory
limited.  Keeping that box from hitting swap should be a top priority.

Joshua Coombs
www.x386.net
Wannabe official S@$!box Compatibility maintainer