Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 2000 13:09:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Lanny Baron <lnb@freedomtc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Kahn <kahn@deadbbs.com>
Subject:   Re: Stable motherboards for servers.

On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Lanny Baron wrote:

> Hello Doug,
> I have been asking about SMP on questions, and you seem to have it running. Can
> you tell me how many processors you can run?

	All of my boards have 2 PIII 500's or 550's.

> Intel has some excellent products and we wish to use them with FreeBSD.

	The only reported problems I've seen in the last year or so are
with Intel mb's that have an onboard Intel Etherexpress Pro 100 ethernet
card and the sym/ncr scsi controller both in use at the same time. These
problems are not universal, but they are a pita to track down when they
happen. One thing I like about the L440GX+ mb is that it uses the Adaptec
SCSI controller, which we have had zero problems with.

> I am getting mail from others (who are
> quite knowledgeable) indicating that there is something with kernel locking.

	Sorry, I don't know what this sentence means.

Doug
--
Excess on occasion is exhilarating.  It prevents moderation from
acquiring the deadening effect of a habit.