Date:      Sun, 26 Jul 1998 11:12:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Kevin G. Eliuk" <kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net>
To:        Stuart Krivis <stuart@apk.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kdehelp doesn't work (KDE 1.0 and FBSD 2.2.7)

On Sun, 26 Jul 1998, Stuart Krivis wrote:

=> On Sun, 26 Jul 1998, Kevin G. Eliuk wrote:
=>
=> > => get some HD activity and then nothing else. On the console I get a message
=> > => something like "/kernel: cmd pid 3081 tried to use nonpresent SYSVMSG" or
=> > => whatever pid it was, then another similar message saying "/kernel: pid
=> > => 3081 (kdehelp), uid 0, exited on signal 12 (core dumped)"
=> > =>
=> > => Has anyone else run across this? If so, is there a fix?
=> > =>
=> >
=> > Try building the SysV items in your custom kernel.
=>
=> I did this (I didn't know that there _were_ SysV items for the kernel. :-)
=> It rebooted correctly and everything seems to work - except for KDE! When
=> I run startx with any other window manager in my .xinitrc, it works fine.
=> When I have the shell script, startkde, that calls kde in there, it locks
=> up the machine. A ctrl-alt-backspace won't even kill the x-server.

Without more to go on I really can't say what the problem could be.
I'll be definately installing KDE when the CD's are shipped, hopefully
it's a simple fix.

=> Sigh.
=>
=> I'm trying to remove all the kde pieces and recompile and install, but
=> that isn't going well either. I grabbed the pkgs and will try that next.

Doesn't say `pkg_delete kde-3.1b' remove all/most of the the package
with warnings for areas that it could not successfully remove?

pkg_delete -n kde-3.1b
Attempting to remove dependency on package `giflib-3.0'
Attempting to remove dependency on package `jpeg-6a'
Attempting to remove dependency on package `kdebase-3.1b'
Attempting to remove dependency on package `kdegames-3.1b'
Attempting to remove dependency on package `kdegraphics-3.1b'
Attempting to remove dependency on package `kdelibs-3.1b'
Attempting to remove dependency on package `kdemultimedia-3.1b'
Attempting to remove dependency on package `kdenetwork-3.1b'
Attempting to remove dependency on package `kdesupport-3.1b'
Attempting to remove dependency on package `kdeutils-3.1b'
Attempting to remove dependency on package `qt-1.31'
Attempting to remove dependency on package `uulib-0.5.13'

Nope, but it does give you a pretty list :-)

                                                  Regards,
                                                  Kevin G. Eliuk

Discover Rock Solid, Discover FreeBSD  |  http://www.FreeBSD.Org