Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2000 10:52:55 +0000
From:      David Murphy <drjolt@redbrick.dcu.ie>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world failed

Quoting <03d301bf9de6$4f694080$0200000a@dinternet.dyn.ml.org>
by Eric Ogren <eogren@earthlink.net>:

> Hi-
>
> IMO this thread has gone on long enough. However, since I'm hypocritical,
> I'm going to post one (and hopefully only one) message regarding it.
>
> > > 1) The responsibility for locating available documentation
> > > rests with the user.
>
>  Who else should the responsibility fall on? Blindly doing things on
> ANY operating system is a bad idea. Just because WinNT/Win2000
> has a more user-friendly administration interface doesn't mean that
> your average person should just start screwing around in the control panel.
>   Any user should read the documentation, especially with anything
> related to system maintenance. I know that people generally don't like
> to do this, but it's still necessary: we try to make software
> as user-friendly as possible, but computers, and specifically OSs are
> still complicated.

No? Really? I *never* knew that!
</sarcasm>

Nobody who has raised these issues is trying to avoid reading the
documentation. Each and every one has read as much documentation AS
THEY WERE AWARE OF. The emphasis is to underline the need for pointers
to relevant documentation from the handbook, release announcements,
and web pages.

One might say that the doucumentation should be better documented ;)

>  As has been pointed out to you, the handbook does say that those
>  who wish to use -stable / -current (ie upgrade via source) MUST
>  read the -stable and -current mailing lists. I don't know how else
>  we can make it more clear that upgrading from source is not advised
>  for newbies or people that are not willing to put in the time to
>  read [or at least skim] the mailing list.

Isn't it obvious? It could be made more clear by saying:

"those who wish to use -stable / -current (ie upgrade via source) MUST
read the -stable and -current mailing lists. upgrading from source is
not advised for newbies or people that are not willing to put in the
time to read [or at least skim] the mailing list"

Which clearly implies that one needs to read the last 6 months worth
of the -stable/-current mailing list archives.

>  I'm not trying to flame you; I'm trying to get your opinion. I've
> been using FreeBSD for 3 or 4 years now, and I've been thinking of
> trying to get more involved in some way.  Maybe writing some
> documentation to clarify the upgrade process could be a way to get
> started. Since it seems you don't feel that users should be forced
> to submit their own docs,

Correct. Software should be documented by those that understand it for
the benefit of those who do not. Why is that so hard to understand?

> could you at least tell a [prospective] doc-guy where else he should
> put pointers in?

Clear, unequivocal pointers should be in the handbook. Release
announcements should point people at the 'upgrading' section of the
handbook.

--
When asked if it is true that he uses his wheelchair as a weapon he will reply:
"That's a malicious rumour. I'll run over anyone who repeats it."