Date:      09 Aug 96 09:46:50 EDT
From:      Jan Knepper <100626.3506@CompuServe.COM>
To:        Khetan Gajjar <khetan@iafrica.com>, "[FreeBSD Hackers]" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mouse..

Khetan Gajjar is accused of writing:

/* Tried it, and it didn't work. Got -current current to last week Friday.
I've got a ps/2 mouse.

I tried moused -p /dev/mouse -t ps/2 and also moused -p /dev/psm0 -t ps/2
and it accepted both, but a ps -auxwww | grep moused reveals nothing.

vidcontrol -m on shows it, but moving the mouse around does nothing. What
am I doing wrong ? */

As far as I know the PS/2 mouse is not enable per default. This is because it
might cause certain conflicts.
If it is not, you might have to recompile the Kernel:

1. Check with /stand/sysinstall, Post configuration if the Mouse is set to PS/2.
2. Install kernel sources.
3. goto /sys/i386/conf, i.e.: cd /sys/i386/conf
4. copy the GENERIC kernel description file to MYKERNEL for instance, i.e.: cp
GENERIC MYKERNEL
5. Modify MYKERNEL, i.e. check the line that says psm0. It *might* be disabled.
You also could check /usr/share/doc/handbook/handbook.ascii on this or
/usr/share/doc/handbook if you have an html viewer.
6. After you modified the file, you also might want to *disable* other devices
your system does not have. You can check them at boot time, write them down and
disable them in MYKERNEL you run: /usr/sbin/config MYKERNEL.
7. Check for ERROR messages /usr/sbin/config might give.
8. cd ../../compiler/MYKERNEL
9. compile MYKERNEL, i.e.: make
10. Install MYKERNEL, i.e.: make install
11. To be sure. cd /dev
12. Do ./MAKEDEV psm0 to create the device.
13. shutdown -r now and reboot the kernel.

Now the PS/2 mouse might be active.

HTH

Don't worry, be Kneppie,
Jan