Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 1999 09:12:02 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ps on 4.0-current

In message <19991124090523.9689C1C6D@overcee.netplex.com.au> Peter Wemm writes:
: For example, in "workstation" mode, the reasonable default is "open",
: because typically there is one user on the box (other than root) and that
: person has root access.  Excessive hiding info from that user just means
: that they'll have to use root more, or will give up the idea of using a mortal
: user entirely and run everything as root (a Really Bad idea, think of Windoze
: and viruses etc etc).

True.

: In a dedicated server role, again it might be appropriate to default
: it to "open" (dedicated server being something like a squid box),
: again there will be a couple of sysadmin type users or people who
: have to monitor things.  Hiding information gains nothing there
: either.

I disagree with this, but that is because I've rarely seen a totally
dedicated server.  A simple fileserver that does nothing else would
want to be open in this respect since few people have accounts.

: In other roles, including something like a shell server box with presumably
: hostile users (you reasonably have to assume this), you want everything you
: possibly can to be locked down.

Firewall, dialup boxes, dns servers, etc are good candidates to be
locked down.

: Oh for ACL's, privilige attributes, etc.  It would solve this sort of thing
: nicely so that you could allow admin users to see what's going on
: (including a ps -ax and see what the users are running) without having to
: constantly (ab)use root and the dangers of overusing that.

sef suggested this be a procfs mount option.  I think I like this more
than the sysctl option, but don't strong opinion either way (sysctl is
more like most of the rest of the system, while a mount option would
be harder to change on the fly).  Having it be a mount option would
make it possible to have a GID that the files are "owned" by that
could be 'operator' so that operators can see the args, and possibly
other things.

Warner