Date:      Wed, 9 Apr 2014 10:15:38 -0500
From:      Matthew Pherigo <hybrid120@gmail.com>
To:        Remy van Elst <relst@relst.nl>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Handbook, upgrading ports incorrect with 10.0-RELEASE?

> On Apr 9, 2014, at 5:28 AM, Remy van Elst <relst@relst.nl> wrote:
>=20
> As I just tried, replacing pkg_version -l "<" with pkg version -l "<" (not=
e the underscore) gives the same result and allows me to recompile/update th=
e ports that are outdated.
>=20
> Maybe this can be added to the handbook? As in, for non-pkgng do this, for=
 pkgng do this. I find my level of knowledge on FreeBSD not enough to submit=
 a patch myself, therefore the mailing list seems good.

Hi Remy,

I'm not sure this is really the correct way to do this in the first place.

Are you using binary packages, or are you just installing things from the po=
rts tree?

If you're just using binary packages, the best method is "pkg upgrade". If y=
ou are using ports, the method most people would use would be "portmaster -a=
D" (meaning "install all upgrades and clean up all downloaded files afterwor=
ds"), though I don't think portmaster is installed by default.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I just don't see why you would use this "pk=
g_version" method as opposed to the proper functions for upgrading. To me, i=
t sounds like that method may have been originally used before these functio=
ns became available.

--Matt=