Date:      Fri, 28 Apr 2000 10:49:27 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Mark Powell <M.S.Powell@salford.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How good is AMI MegaRAID support?

> Yep, 0,1,5,10 and 50 are the only levels we may require. Some sort of
> FBSD management utility would be useful, although unlikely? Feedback from
> the driver regarding array status would be very useful. The DPT driver
> lacked this, requiring you to be able to hear the controllers alarm. This
> is of course impractical with remotely based servers.

The only driver with this capacity currently is that for Mylex adapters.
I'm working with AMI to remedy the situation there.

> > I have been using 4.x for our internal Squid proxy
> > with great results.  I didnt have problems with the AMI card, except that I
> > could artificially wedge it under high load.  There have been new patches
> > to the driver, so its possible the problem has been fixed, but I havent had
> > time to test that.
>
> Does anyone on the list know if this has been fixed?

There's an issue with AMI controllers over-reporting the number of
outstanding commands they can handle, which was worked around recently.
I haven't been able to tie either of the outstanding problem reports
directly to the driver or adapter; they both seem to be related to
external symptoms.

In summary, however, I would at this very moment recommend the Mylex
adapter family over the AMI family.  I'm hoping to bring things to a more
equitable state in the coming months, but time alone will tell.