Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2001 15:59:08 +0300
From:      "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
To:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>, tcsh-bugs@mx.gw.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tcsh 6.10.00 echo;echo;echo; bug with fix

On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 15:46:39 +0300, Andrey A. Chernov wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 12:41:09 +0000, David Malone wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 07:52:49AM -0500, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks so much! I wonder how come this bug remained unnoticed for such
> > > a long time!
> >
> > AFAIK, this isn't a bug. It's what csh has always done. (It's what
> > IBM and Sun's csh do anyway...) To echo a newline in csh you do
> > 'echo ""'.
>
> If this bug is rotten in csh as designed, it not means that it isn't
> the bug.
>
> Lets look from other side: "echo" is internal csh command which replace
> /bin/echo for speed reasons. /bin/echo;/bin/echo;/bin/echo produce 3 \n,
> so internal command must do the same in any case.

Thinking about compatibility:

Since internal 'echo' does nothing, it _not_ used in any old csh scripts,
while 'echo ""' does the same thing in both old and new variants, so old
scripts will works in the same way.

Since old csh is not maintained anymore, we don't need to preserve exact
void compatibility with unsupported and not maintained other platforms
software with no practical reason.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
http://ache.pp.ru/