Date:      Mon, 8 Oct 2001 07:54:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tim Erlin <tperlin@yahoo.com>
To:        Rohit Panda <prohit99@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problem installing window manager

--- Rohit Panda <prohit99@yahoo.com> wrote:

> hi ,
>
> iam trying to install  the window manager after i
> installed my X server.what window manager should i
> use.and iam not able to use the ports collection
> .though a file named x11(its not a directory in my
> case ,dont know why :(- ),when i give the command
>
> file x11
>
> it gives some error and says not a file.
>
> so now how do i install a manager and which manager
> should i install.and if at all i install managers
> like KDE ,what all file i have to download (as there
> r lot of files).and i have heard about window maker
> which is a window manager.i am in a fix,plz help me
> out.

I assume that when you say you are unable to use the
ports collection, you mean you haven't installed the
ports collection. You can just add the package with
the  pkg_add command. The man page will provide you
the details.

I am personally using Windowmaker and am quite happy
with it. Check out freebsd.org for details on
dependencies, etc.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=windowmaker&stype=all