Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 2002 21:06:10 +0200
From:      "tonix (Antonio Nati)" <tonix@interazioni.it>
To:        freebsd-reply@akruijff.dds.nl
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading from 4.0 to 4.6

At 23/06/2002 23/06/2002 +0200, Alex wrote:
>tAN> May anyone suggest if this plan may works, or suggest me different paths?
>tAN> A) Backup old system (megatar.tar.Z)
>tAN> B) Create new system, with minimal FreeBSD 4.0 installation, creation of
>tAN> all disks, etc...
>tAN> C) Restore of megatar.tar.z in new system
>
>You will at lease use a image tool not an archive tool. Check out dd
>or ghost (windows). And it would only work if you got the same kind of
>hardware on the system. (I have had no experience with dd.) Since its
>new hardware you have nothing to lose.
>
>If it works you have the same system on the new hardware. Do a make
>world just in case there are minor problems.

I understand what you mean, but I prefer to avoid dd or such. I don't need
to create boot record or devices, because I want to do that with the first
minimal installation. New hardware has new devices, so I must make a first
minimal installation to create and use them.

(I've forgotten to say that I exclude /dev from the megatar.tar.Z).

Thanks anyway,

Tonino