Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 2002 17:37:29 +0100
From:      Emiel Kollof <coolvibe@hackerheaven.org>
To:        Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The plot thickens (problem solved!) (was Re: More information ...)

* Stijn Hoop (stijn@win.tue.nl) wrote:

[snip]

> > Yes, because nobody gave me any feedback or reports in any form. Which
> > (for me at least) results in me digging and reporting anything I find.
> > At least the archives of this mailing list will be aware of my attempts
> > to find a workaround for this problem. It might help other people.
>
> Of course. But consolidated into one email it wouldn't have flooded my inbox
> this much...

... I take it that you don't use procmail? :)

[snip]

> > Later attempts _without_ optimalisations resulted in the same errors. I
> > did use portupgrade -fR, and I _do_ keep a clean and tidy system. I
> > cvsup religiously, rebuild world/kernel when needed, and read UPDATING
> > etc. etc. There's absolutely no reason why this couldn't have affected
> > someone else as well. Even from a clean environment (everything X related
> > removed, as in pkg_delete all of X and nuking what's left as in rm -rf
> > /usr/X11R6) this glitch occured *again*. Odd, no?
> >
> > Oh, I must've recompiled the whole (and parts) of X like 10 times today. I
> > also rebuild world and kernel again just to make sure my toolchain and
> > evironment was pristine.
>
> OK, that's good to know. I didn't see these facts before in your other mails.

I might have taken my practice of keeping my system as tidy as possible
for granted with other setups. I just assumed everyone's system was as
tidy as mine :)

[snip]

> > I might be the first to have noticed. What if suddenly 20 more people in
> > the span of the next 24 hours report that X or X apps won't build?
>
> That's of course true, but 16 hours have passed since your first email
> and noone else reports such a problem. Experience has shown that X build
> problems will probably be reported more frequently here or on -ports
> during that period if they affect all of the FreeBSD user group.
> Or maybe everyone's on holiday of course, I don't know...

Hey, it's not every day one gets to find a bug in Xfree/FreeBSD. I jumped
at it. Just doing my bit. Maybe I did overdo it a bit...

> What I'm trying to say, politely, is something like 'patience, young jedi',
> I think you will get more results from the lists that way. No offense
> meant.

None taken.

> BTW, I also didn't see a response to Joe Marcus Clarke's questions:
>
> > What ports are broken because of this?  Any port which can't find
> > -pthread or -lc_r on its own should have ${PTHREAD_LIBS} added to its
> > LIBS configure argument.  With that, there are also some thread-related
> > CFLAGS that should be added.  These are defined by the ports system as
> > ${PTHREAD_CFLAGS}.
>
> Except for your test program, what ports don't work? What lead you to
> the initial conclusion that something is wrong with X?

All ports that wanted to link with -lX11 broke here. I suspected that X
was the problem when I digged through the autoconf config.log files
which stated everytime that libXThrStubs.so.6 had unresolved symbols, so I
started grepping for those symbols in the X lib source.

When I found them, I found a UIThrStubs.c.orig file which meant that
that file was patched. I put two and two together and looked at what was
patched, and concluded that that was the source for the unresolved
symbol problems. When I undid the patch to that file, all was well and
linked happily again. Even my test code worked as expected.

So there you have it :)

Cheers,
Emiel
--
Everyone is a genius.  It's just that some people are too stupid to
realize it.