Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 2000 21:21:09 -0600
From:      Chuck Paterson <cp@bsdi.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        rob@controlq.com (Robert S. Sciuk), freebsd-sparc@freebsd.org, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

	At the macro architectural level the approach being taken is
not that unlike Solaris which has been shown to run acceptability
with something greater than 4 processors. It is also true that
until we get it up and stable and can work on those areas, such as
the single scheduling lock, it is not going to scale above a smallish
number of processors. It simply is not practical to do everything
at once, debugging the simplified scheme is tough enough.
Chuck

}
}I have rather grave concerns about some of the technical
}approaches being pursued in this attempt, particularly as
}concerns use of kernel threads to dumb-down state machines
}to the point that linear thinkers can understand them.  The
}SMP scaling strategy currently looks to be limited in value
}over 4 processors, which is supposedly an Intel limitation,
}but which others (e.g. Sequent) have demonstrated is really
}a limitation of the approach used to solve the problem.
}
}I actually rather doubt that it will beat NT performance, since
}free software projects appear to have a Roche limit over a certain
}level of complexity that prevents them from doing some things.  It
}has been a tendancy of many commercial companies, fearing open
}source, to drive increasing complexity into IETF standards (IMO,
}without technical necessity) in order to protect their shrinking
}domain without having to actually confront the other commercial
}companies eating into their market.
}
}
}					Terry Lambert