Date:      Thu, 7 Dec 2000 21:47:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Dragos Ruiu <dr@kyx.net>
Cc:        tcpdump-workers@tcpdump.org, ethereal-dev@ethereal.com, snort-devel@lists.sourceforge.net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, tech@openbsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fwd: kyxtech: freebsd outsniffed by wintendo !!?!?

:
:(Hurm.... Wintendo outperforming unix???!??  Something's
: improper about this, and it ought to be fixed...  :-)
: Comments?  Other OS numbers: more recent
: FreeBSD versions? Solaris? Tru64? Optimization
: patches? Can those OO MSDN lobotomies actually
: be good things? Hurm... The Italian gauntlet has
: been thrown down....   --dr :-)
:
:url: http://netgroup-serv.polito.it/winpcap/docs/performance.htm

    Oh yah, I remember this... this is a pretty old benchmark, by the way.
    Sigh.  All this demonstrates is that the person tring to write the
    packets to disk doesn't know what he's doing.  There's nothing wrong
    with FreeBSD, per say.  Looking at the data I would guess that they
    are appending to a file using write()'s on a packet-by-packet basis
    or with a redirect from tcpdump on a shell line, rather then spend
    the 60 seconds it would take to program-in some fairly trivial user-level
    buffering.  The program is obviously stalling on the write and causing
    the BPF filter to overflow its output buffer.  Just because FreeBSD
    refuses to use all available memory to buffer a single file's writes
    doesn't mean it's broken, just that the benchmark is.  I'm guessing
    simply double-buffering the disk writeing with two dd's would be
    sufficient to capture all packets to disk and if someone seriously
    intended to use a FreeBSD box as a packet-capture system they would
    write a capture program to talk to the BPF socket directly and
    implement proper buffering in that rather then tring to use tcpdump.

						-Matt