Date:      Sun, 18 Nov 2001 16:35:11 +0100
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@jennejohn.org>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>, freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OT: IP address not constant within 24h in DSL (1&1 flatrate)

On Sunday 18 November 2001 13:03, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> Sorry for communicating an OT issue in this list but since
> some of you are using DSL as well I thought I might ask:
>
> For a couple of days I'm running T-DSL but with 1&1 as the
> provider. I thought they would change IP once in 24 h but
> actually they seem to do it quite randomly.

Are you certain that ppp isn't timing out and then dialing back
in so that you get a new IP? Have you looked at your logfiles ?

> Anyone knowing why or how once can enforce that it stays
> constant over 24h?

I don't use 1&1, sorry.

> Is this different in T-DSL with T-Online flatrate?
>
> In other words: Could this be considered a lack in quality in
> the 1&1 service.

I personally never stay logged on, my router times out after 5
minutes of inactivity. However, I heard from an acquaintance
that he had the same IP with T-Online for 3 or 4 days, although
T-Online claims to break the connections every 24 hours. So I
guess you could say that T-Online does a better job in this
regard than 1&1.

--
Gary Jennejohn garyj@jennejohn.org gj@freebsd.org