Date:      Mon, 5 Jan 2009 22:05:06 -0900
From:      Mel <fbsd.questions@rachie.is-a-geek.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Sydney Longfellow <sydney@panhistoria.com>
Subject:   Re: Processes Piling up with the lockf state

On Monday 05 January 2009 06:29:33 Sydney Longfellow wrote:

> I'm getting problems with my server locking up after accumulating far
> too many processes until I have to reboot.
>
> The states of the processes are reading either sbwait or lockf when this
> spiral out of control starts to happen.
>
> Any ideas what might cause this?

sbwait indicates a process is waiting for data on a socket. lockf indicates
that a process is trying to lock portions of a file. If you put the two
together, a cause could be network congestion (disk to network) or harddrive
problems (network to disk).
A server running out of memory and into swap can also be a cause, as processes
are blocked (sockets don't get data and locks are not acquired) until the
swap operation is completed. When processes keep getting spawned, this effect
snowballs.

--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.