Date:      Sun, 23 Jan 2011 09:46:37 +0000 (UTC)
From:      "G. Paul Ziemba" <pz-freebsd-scsi@ziemba.us>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rescan causes offlined tape to reload

mj@feral.com (Matthew Jacob) writes:

>The basic gist of the error is that during the probe sequence a command
>is likely coming back with ASC 0x04 ASCQ 0x02 (Logical unit not ready,
>initializing command required).

>Unfortunately, this causes camperiphscsisenseerror to issue
>scsi_start_stop command.

>See if the attached patch helps

Matthew, thanks for your efforts on this issue.

It seems to avoid reloading the tape when there is a rescan (yay!)
I have not had a chance to fully exercise it (it might take until
Monday before I can run it through my usual sequence of operations)
however so I can't say what else will happen.

But now there is a TUR about every two seconds. (Maybe because
"error = EIO;" on line 1562 bubbles up and causes a retry?)

>Why this did not occur before I am a little
>baffled about because the same code was in place in the time frame you
>had it 'working'.

I'll see if I can rebuild an old kernel from Nov 2009 -stable. Maybe
it will even work with a Jan 2011 world/ports.
--
G. Paul Ziemba
FreeBSD unix: