Date:      Mon, 12 May 2003 15:45:24 -0400
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   do we have MTIOCLRERR on ioctl?

Anyone any any ideas about this issue?

Subject:        	Re: [Bacula-users] Too many errors trying to mount
From:           	Kern Sibbald <kern@sibbald.com>
To:             	Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Copies to:      	bacula-users <bacula-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Date sent:      	12 May 2003 21:38:43 +0200

Hello Dan,

No, I don't mind you forwarding my email. You can
always do so.

Best regards,

Kern

PS: Just to amplify a bit: When Bacula gets an EOM,
it immediately writes two EOF marks. One would be
sufficient, but this way I am sure that the tape
is terminated for ALL drives.  It then does
two backspace files followed by a backspace
record, if that succeeds, it re-reads the last
record and compares the CRC and block number with
what it wrote and reports success or failure.

On FreeBSD (at least your case), it was the backspace
record that failed as is the case on a certain number
of tape drives. However, what was unusual was that
it "froze" the tape. Bacula then does an ioctl()
MTIOCLRERR on all systems that support it -- hoping
to clear the error condition.

Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/