Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 13:15:27 -0600
From:      Tim Yardley <yardley@uiuc.edu>
To:        Vladimir Dubrovin <vlad@sandy.ru>
Cc:        news@technotronic.com, bugtraq@securityfocus.com, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: explanation and code for stream.c issues

At 01:04 PM 1/21/2000, Vladimir Dubrovin wrote:
>Hello Tim Yardley,
>
>21.01.00 20:25, you wrote: explanation and code for stream.c issues;
>
>T> -- start rule set --
>T> block in quick proto tcp from any to any head 100
>T> pass in quick proto tcp from any to any flags S keep state group 100
>T> pass in all
>T> -- end rule set --
>
>Attack  can  be  easily  changed  to send pair SYN and invalid SYN/ACK
>packets  before  spoofing some port. I guess in this case your ruleset
>will be useless. But i belive it's possible to limit the number of TCP
>packets send to some host with ipfw:
>
>ipfw pipe 10 config delay 50 queue 5 packets
>ipfw add pipe 10 tcp from any to $MYHOST in via $EXTERNAL
>
>I  have  not  tested  this rule but i guess with appropriate delay and
>queue it will stop any TCP spoofing.

As was mentioned in the "advisory/explanation" on the issue, ipfw cannot
deal with the problem due to the fact that it is stateless.

The attack comes from random ip addresses, therefore throttling like that
only hurts your connection or solves nothing at all.  In other words, the
random sourcing and method of the attack, makes a non-stateless firewall
useless.

/tmy

-- Diving into infinity my consciousness expands in inverse
    proportion to my distance from singularity