Date:      Tue, 16 Feb 1999 14:01:03 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        jim@corp.au.triax.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: binary upgrade to 3.1-RELEASE

On Tuesday, 16 February 1999 at 12:28:13 +1100, Jim Mock wrote:
> What would I break if I did a binary upgrade to 3.1-RELEASE on a box
> running 2.2.8-RELEASE?  I don't have enough hard drive space to cvsup
> and make world, so it's either do a binary upgrade or reinstall
> clean (ick).
>
> Now, I know that 3.x+ uses ELF instead of a.out binaries, and if I was
> going to upgrade with cvsup I'd need to do a make-aout-to-elf, which
> is the reason for my question.
>
> According the RELNOTES.TXT for 3.1-RELEASE, it does seem like a
> possibility..
>
> [paste]
> In the case of using the binary upgrade option, the system will go
> straight to 3.1/ELF but also populate the /<basepath>/lib/aout
> directories for backwards compatibility with older binaries.
>
> In either case, going to ELF will mean that you'll have somewhat
> smaller binaries and access to a lot more compiler goodies which have
> been already been ported to other ELF environments (our older and
> somewhat crufty a.out format being largely unsupported by most other
> software projects).  Those who wish to retain access to the older
> a.out dynamic executables should be sure and install the compat22
> distribution.
> [end paste]
>
> So.. am I asking for trouble with a binary upgrade?

I think the text above answers the question you ask.  I think your
real question should have been "does this work OK?".

I don't know.  At least it's the path less taken.  You'd be well
advised to:

1.  Make a backup.
2.  Keep notes of what you're doing and what happens.  If something
    does go wrong, we'll want to fix it, even if it proves that you've
    been doing the installation without adequate footguards.

Greg