Date:      Mon, 7 Jan 2013 10:47:08 +0100
From:      Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen@fabiankeil.de>
To:        "other@ahhyes.net" <other@ahhyes.net>
Cc:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Easiest way to update jails from 9.0 to 9.1

--Sig_/eOe.bHB4kN4qgDwTN1s=oLE

"other@ahhyes.net" <other@ahhyes.net> wrote:

> I created the jails by hand individually using the steps given in
> the FreeBSD handbook, can ezjail still be of use or am I going to
> have to reinstall world for each jail?

With ezjail you usually only use one "world" and nullfs mount
it into the jails to safe space and share caching effects:

fk@r500 ~ $mount | grep privoxy-jail
tank/usr/jails/privoxy-jail on /usr/jails/privoxy-jail (zfs, local, noatime=
, nfsv4acls)
/usr/jails/basejail on /usr/jails/privoxy-jail/basejail (nullfs, local, rea=
d-only)
/home/fk/privoxy on /usr/jails/privoxy-jail/usr/local/etc/privoxy (nullfs, =
local)
/usr/jails/porttest/var/ports/packages on /usr/jails/privoxy-jail/var/ports=
/packages (nullfs, local, read-only)
devfs on /usr/jails/privoxy-jail/dev (devfs, local, multilabel)
fdescfs on /usr/jails/privoxy-jail/dev/fd (fdescfs)
procfs on /usr/jails/privoxy-jail/proc (procfs, local)

There is also some integrated zfs support, but I haven't looked
at it yet.

I update the basejail with "ezjail-admin update -i" installing
the same binaries I've previously build for the host system.
Due to nullfs it only has to be done once no matter how many
jails there are.

I assume to properly make use of ezjail you would have to
convert your jails, but this shouldn't be too much work
and would only have to be done once.

Of course it still makes sense to experiment with ezjail first
to see if you like it. I haven't tried any of the alternatives
but at least some people seem to prefer them.

> How about mergemaster for jails (in dealing with updates to /etc )

I don't use mergemaster for jails. I just checked and in the
privoxy-jail mentioned above, most files in /etc are from 2006
when I created that jail.

I frequently run mergemaster on the system hosting the jails and
if there were updates that would matter for the jails as well,
I'd update them manually. I don't see the point of updating files
in the jails that aren't used anyway.

Fabian