Date:      Mon, 8 Apr 2002 20:26:48 +0200 (SAST)
From:      Willie Viljoen <will@laserfence.net>
To:        "Peter C. Lai" <sirmoo@cowbert.2y.net>
Cc:        Michael Sharp <ms@probsd.ws>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Berkley Packet Filter

My advise on BPF would be to use it selectively. It can come in very handy
for certain tasks, amongst other things, doing security audits on your own
network, as apps like nmap and most sniffers need BPF.

As for servers, I would _NEVER_ really turn it on, unless there is a very
specific need for its use. Also running at securelevel 1 or higher, to
prevent somebody with a root shell from loading BPF-like modules into your
kernel.

Servers should never be using things like DHCP or PPP (unless they happen
to be dialin servers), and you should not be using your servers to run
network security audits.

In short summary, I would say:

 For a security administrator's work station, turn it on.
 For anything else, turn it off.

Will

On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, Peter C. Lai wrote:

> disabling bpf only prevents someone from running a sniffer on
> *your* box should they obtain a shell. I don't see how disabling
> it prevents nmap from running syn/fin scans.
>
> Furthermore, if someone obtains root shell, they could just
> load a kernel module to enable bpf-like capabilities.
>
> In addition, disabling bpf also breaks DHCP (and/or PPP?). If your host gets
> an IP via DHCP (e.g you are running dhclient(1)) you need to enable bpf.
>
> Michael Sharp writes:
>
> > It is my understanding that if you comment OUT the bpf line in the kernel
> > and re-compile, this disables things like nmap and prevents a sniffer from
> > running on the network * easily * correct?
> >
> > The reason I put * easily * in there is because I am aware of other ways to
> > bypass bpf, but I believe disabling would defeat 99% of the script kiddies.
> >
> > Michael

> > with "unsubscribe freebsd-security" in the body of the message
>

>  -----------
> Peter C. Lai
> University of Connecticut
> Dept. of Residential Life | Programmer
> Dept. of Molecular and Cell Biology | Undergraduate Research Assistant
> http://cowbert.2y.net/
> 860.427.4542 (Room)
> 860.486.1899 (Lab)
> 203.206.3784 (Cellphone)