Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2007 11:40:07 +0100
From:      "Federico Lorenzi" <florenzi@gmail.com>
To:        "User Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Pietro Cerutti <gahr@gahr.ch>
Subject:   Re: mode 11g, but 6Mbps

On 7/24/07, Pietro Cerutti <gahr@gahr.ch> wrote:
> Federico Lorenzi wrote:
> > On 7/24/07, Pietro Cerutti <gahr@gahr.ch> wrote:
> >> Hi List,
> >> I have an Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG adapter using the wpi0 driver
> >> connecting to an access point using the 802.11g mode.
> >> # ifconfig wpi0 mode 11g
> >> # ifconfig wpi0
> >> media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect mode 11g (OFDM/6Mbps)
> >>
> >> Can anyone explain why I see OFDM/6Mbps instead of OFDM/54Mbps (or at
> >> least 19Mbps if you mean the actual throughput?)
> > It could depend on a few things, first off remember that it's a highly
> > experimental driver at
> > this stage, and don't mean to be stating the obvious, but are you
> > actually close enough to
> > the AP to get 54mbps? Windows says 54 / 11 no matter what speed it is
> > running at.
>
> Hi Federico,
>
> Actually I'm 4 meters away from the AP.
> I know that wpi is still in pre-alpha state ;-)

That may be your problem :) Try move further away, i know that
being to close to the AP can cause issues too, with any card,
although 4m sounds fine. It could also be that the WPI drivers
are just limited as they dont work at faster speeds yet. What
version of FreeBSD are you running, and what WPI drivers?

Federico