Date:      Sun, 22 Feb 1998 15:46:20 -0500
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>
To:        patl@phoenix.volant.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Javascript for project page?

On Sat, Feb 21, 1998 at 09:21:25AM -0800, patl@phoenix.volant.org wrote:
> > On Sat, 21 Feb 1998, Mark Mayo wrote:
> > >Hi all. I've been coding up a prototype "FreeBSD Project Database"
> > >page, and I'm seeking opinions on if I should use Javascript..
> > >Javascript lets me do some handy error checking on the client side
> > >before requests and such get sent into the database server, as well
> > >as opening up some better design possibilities... I'm concerned however
> > >that the use of Javascript will limit the number of people that can
> > >use the site.
> > >
> > >Opinions? Is *everybody* using Netscape now, or do a significant
>
> I'd go for an intermediate solution.  Use the JavaScript for error
> checking; but design the page so that it still works without the
> JavaScript portions.
>
> Remember, even with JavaScript doing error checking, the server
> side forms handling should -always- do it's own error checking.
> There is no guarantee that the data actually came from your form...

Indeed. That's my strategy for now: do all the error checking on
the server side, since it has to be done anyhow.. Afterwards, if
I want to get fancier, I'll do some Javascript checking as well
which won't affect the streamlined browsers, but will get Javascript
people some extra features (i.e. better, instant error feedback..)

> 'Better design possibilities' is a vague and covers a lot of possible
> territory.  Would PHP help you retain some of them?  Since it is a

Yes, I'm coding a good portion in PHP, with some extra goodies
in Perl where PHP just isn't enough.. :-)

cya,
-Mark

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@vmunix.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		    http://www.vmunix.com/mark