Date:      Sun, 5 Nov 1995 11:23:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: machine reboot & kernel maxusers option

On Sun, 5 Nov 1995, Greg Lehey wrote:

> > >I'll go along with that.  "Not found" also scares off people who don't
> > >realize that it's a normal state of affairs.
> >
> > It's only normal (and not good) for GENERIC and other bloated kernels.
>
> Would you like to hazard a guess about what percentage of people
> really, *really* customize their kernels?  Even if you do, you might
> need to keep things in that you don't have (I haven't found a clean
> way to remove CD-ROM support, for example).  You're right, though,
> that doesn't make it good.

I might be wrong, but part of the reason I run FreeBSD instead of Linux
is because the FreeBSD crowd seems uniformly more technical.  I know this
is a generalization, but I tend to equate Linux crowd == dos crowd ==
windows crowd.  I think that folks would be surprised at how high this
number is, not 90, but not 20 either.   Maybe 40-60?

> Greg

Chuck Robey chuckr@eng.umd.edu, I run FreeBSD-current on n3lxx + Journey2

Three Accounts for the Super-users in the sky,
  Seven for the Operators in their halls of fame,
Nine for Ordinary Users doomed to crie,
  One for the Illegal Cracker with his evil game
In the Domains of Internet where the data lie.
  One Account to rule them all, One Account to watch them,
  One Account to make them all and in the network bind them.