Date:      Fri, 9 Nov 2001 19:05:38 +0000
From:      Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>
To:        Jonathan Hilgeman <JHilgeman@ecx.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Name Server Behind Router

On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 01:00:36PM -0800, Jonathan Hilgeman wrote:
> Please humor me on this one.
>
> 1 - I have a DSL line coming into my home, with one IP address, let's call
> it 4.43.123.213.
>
> 2 - The modem runs to a router, which then branches off to several
> computers.
>
> 3 - One of them is a FreeBSD 4.4 server (a new, clean install) with
> named/BIND installed, but not configured nor running. The server's IP behind
> the router is 10.0.0.102.
>
> 4 - I want to be able to use that server as a name server. However, I have
> tried a few different things and I cannot seem to get it configured and
> running correctly.
>
> 5 - My /etc/rc.conf file has a line that says: ifconfig_fxp0="inet
> 10.0.0.102 netmask 255.255.255.0"
>
> Can someone offer general tips or even specific tips if you can, to how I
> should set this all up. i.e. Should I use DHCP to assign IP addresses via
> the router or not? What about the IP addresses? How does the name server get
> recognized by the outside world? What should my rc.conf files look like? I'm
> currently reading through O' Reilly's book on DNS and BIND, but I'd like
> some interactive feedback as well. Thanks in advance!
>
> - Jonathan

I use a very similar setup at home, except for a couple of things:

1) I am on dialup and get a dynamic IP.
2) My router is a FreeBSD box.

I run my nameserver on an internal RFC 1918 IP.  It can do lookups for
any of my internal machines, so I don't have to specify IPs everytime
I want to ssh or ftp across them.  I also have udp and tcp ports 53
open on my firewall, (Well, the tcp port is open to outgoing setup and
incoming estab, but that's not the point) and I use my internal
nameserver as a caching nameserver for the internet.  What I am not
able to do is use my nameserver as a HOST or a nameserver for a real
domain.  Even if I forward port 53 through my firewall to my
nameserver, my firewall's IP changes everytime I connect to the
internet.  You might be in a different situation if your ISP doesn't
filter port 53 for you, and if you can get a static IP.  But if you
can't get a static IP, you aren't going to be able to provide DNS for
anyone but yourself.

Josh